Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Parfrey's Glen

It has been awhile since I have been to Parfrey's Glen State Natural Area as it was closed for the summer and into the fall after being washed out by flooding.  I'm happy to announce that it had reopened and in my opinion is better than ever.  The boardwalk that previously was the trail through the gorge is gone leaving hikers to their own devises for stream crossings and scrambling over rocks. I definitely recommend waterproof boots and trekking poles, especially this time of year when the rocks have snow and ice on them.  The slick and rugged trail rewards you with spectacular with views through a narrow rocky ravine, with a stream running through the base.

It is located on County DL (off of 113 in Merrimac) just a few miles from Devil's Lake State Park.

I also recommend a stop at Wollersheim Winery in Prairie du Sac on the way home!

Since pictures always tell a better story here are a few.


 
Watercress was abundant in the slower
moving offshoots of the stream.

Spectacular ice formations in the water.

View of the glen...the little red dot is my friend Em.
  
End of the trail.


No comments: